Broccoli con Carne can be a healthy new addition to your usual meal rotation.
This Filipino dish is loved by many, and the primary ingredients are aren’t exotic: broccoli and beef. It’s just as typical for Filipino family’s dinners as it is in Filipino buffet restaurants. If you want to add more protein or vegetables, you can add boiled eggs or sliced bitter gourd together with the broccoli.
Broccoli is one of the most nutritious veggies. It’s in the vegetable family that includes cauliflower, kale and cabbage. Health benefits include lowering the possibility of colon and lung cancer. Broccoli also generally promotes bone health, and anti-aging, and anti-oxidation and more.
Cruciferous Vegetables are considered by some as “super veggies” because of the abundance of Vitamin K. Vitamin K is essential on maintaining bone’s health, insufficient Vitamin K can lead to bone fracture and blood clotting. So ½ cup of Broccoli per day (along with a healthy lifestyle in general) could be one way to help prevent cancer, isn’t that cool?
Broccoli con Carne is one of the most common beef-based dishes in The Philippines. Most Filipino households prefer to add bitter gourd with the dish, and it’s easy to add: simply wash, slice, marinate it with salt & boil the bitter guard with the broccoli. Some families like to add boiled eggs because it is great and eggs (in moderation) are some of the healthiest and nutrition dense foods you can eat.
Here’s the ingredients & procedures on how to cook this delicious dish. Total of 20 minutes preparation and 40 minutes cook time. Start now and Enjoy Cooking!
3 tbsp. cooking oil
½ garlic, minced
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
1 lb. beef sirloin, sliced thinly across the grain
1 tsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp. of water
3 cups of water
2 tbsp. of Oyster Sauce
1 tsp. of Rice Wine
½ beef cube dissolved in ½ cup water
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. Soy Sauce
2 tsp. Rice wine
½ tsp. cornstarch
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Marinate rice wine, cornstarch, soy sauce, ground black pepper and a sprinkle of salt with the beef for 20 minutes.
- Prepare a cooking pot, pour water and wait until boil. Once, the water is in boiling point put the broccoli for a minute.
- After a minute, gently remove broccoli from cooking pot then drain the water and set aside.
- Get the frying pan or wok ready and set to high heat the stove. Pour the cooking oil and add the stir fry beef, wait until the color change to brown then set aside.
- On the same frying pan, add in the broccoli florets and stir for 2 – 3 minutes. Pour a cup of water, oyster sauce, sugar and beef.
- Stir for 5 – 10 minutes or until the sauce condenses. Sprinkle with sesame oil. Enjoy & Serve hot!
Stay up to date with our latest blog posts and website offers here!